2nd Graders Research Elephants
Session 1 and 2
Good researchers make a PLAN each time they begin to work.
Our PLAN is to research what elephants need in their habitat so they can survive and thrive. We hope this will help us answer the question, "Why doesn't Lincoln Park Zoo have elephants?"
1. First we need to know if we all understand what HABITAT means.
2. Then we start to write our questions that will help us search for information
3. In order to do both of these, we need to decide where to look for information. What sources will we use?
Because we made a PLAN, we can now get down to DO the work!
1. We talked about what we have already learned about the word HABITAT. We gave examples of the work we did on our dioramas in the fall.
2. We made observations of elephants and their behavior on video.
3. We made hypotheses as to why the zoo doesn't have elephants.
4. These hypotheses made us think of more questions. We worked with partners to write down our questions.
5. We brainstormed a list of possible research tools we could use to find answers to our question.
Good researchers always REVIEW at the end of work time to summarize what we were able to accomplish, and then make a PLAN for the next time we sit down to continue our work.
Next time our PLAN will be to start researching the answers to some of our questions